Thursday, April 9, 2009

On Suffering


With apologies, to Dietrich Bonhoeffer…..

Bonhoeffer and I have had a stormy relationship through the years.  In seminary I had a professor whom really did not like me, I was not Lutheran - therefore I was doomed.  The class was, The  History of Christianity, and for my first essay I was assigned Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  I suppose in retrospect the professor was attempting to draw me into Lutheran thought, however as things went, he almost lost his job.

I gave a brief summary of Bonhoeffer’s life as well as the high points of his trial, prison writings and why the German State was correct in executing him.  I received a whooping ‘F’ on my paper and the teacher was literally foaming at the mouth while I tried to discuss this with him.  Whoa!  You see if Lutheran’s had a saint, it is him, he died for his faith and witness for Christ, he IS a martyr. 

However, in reality, he was condemned for his part in the attempt to assassinate Hitler and executed.  No different than any other country has done in the past century.  History may hate Hitler, however he was the head of state and Bonhoeffer was directly tied to the attempt blow him up.

So yesterday, I was thinking on suffering.  Jesus suffered, the apostles suffered, the disciples of the apostles suffered, therefore, should the average Christian suffer?

The short answer is, ‘Yes’.  If we truly desire to be like Jesus (which I hope you do!), we will suffer because He suffered.

The long answer is still, ‘Yes’, but involves the question of those Christians whom do not experience suffering for Jesus’ sake.  The Church is under persecution throughout the world.  The Church is composed of the body of believers, if one part suffers, all should be suffering unless you are so disconnected from the reality of the world you can not know of this!  And, if that is you, for your sake, get active in your faith and change your church – it must have died!  There is a world out there you are expected to be reaching!  Er, I hate to say this, but life is a test, you will be graded and there are no make up sessions.  Get active in outreach, discipling, prayer, service to others!

But back to Bonhoeffer.

In his writings, he said many things I have meditated on for years and not come to any conclusion concerning.  One of those was the situation where he was sent to America at the start of the war in order that he would survive and could return afterwards.  But, he came back almost immediately.  He said, to the affect of: “If I am not there during the suffering, I will have no witness to the German people when the war is over.”

Now I have always taken this in the light of just what I wrote, a matter of credibility to those whom he served.  And make no mistake, credibility to those whom you are a witness to is extremely important!

Then it struck me in the wee hours of the morning and I have stewed on this all day so far.  Bonhoeffer was seeing that suffering is to be expected as a Christian, not something we need run from.  Yes, you can run and live to witness another day but that is not what you were called to do as a Christian.  Yes, you might have to sit in a bomb shelter for days on end not knowing if the next blast was going to remove you from this life – but your ministry is to those around you.  You might have to be buried alive should a building collapse on the shelter but you are there to witness to those around you.  You may have to go hungry.  You may have to experience the wrath of a government opposed to Christianity, but you are called to be that witness – even to the men overcome by evil.  You may indeed have to become a part of an underground movement – not to kill members of your government – but to continue to send forth the message of God!  Throughout more examples than I could possibly come up with, you are expected as a Christian to be there as a witness to the average man around you, of Jesus’ salvation.

So, it might be inconvenient and a little scary, but are you ready to really follow Jesus?  Then it is time suffer as Jesus, the apostles, the disciples of the apostles and so many millions have done to this day.  You do not need to be a martyr, but you do need to be available for the opportunity of service as you are lead in your walk with our Lord.

No comments: