Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sharing Hope

When I planned this short series last weekend, I never could have envisioned where this study was taking me nor the changes it would bring about in my own life.  And I am not even sure what to share or what not to share.  It is like having an epiphany that suddenly makes seven years of your life suddenly make sense.  That would be in both a good and bad sense, as well as, learning a few things about myself that points to a future I had not anticipated being true about me.

Interestingly, my pastor has been thinking along the same lines as I and so between us I have some interesting notes on Philemon.

Be Of Service
  • Our culture, we have plagued the world with, has nothing but excuses to be of service to anyone!
  • Share the Gospel with others
  • Be a true friend
  • Assist others in their daily lives
  • Learn to see God's hand and share this with others
  • Challenge others to do as you are doing
Love
  • Love God
  • Love the person God puts in front of you
  • Realize that NO need is too great
  • Everything matters
  • In front of  you, on your path is where  you will find your ministry

Help Let People Out of Their Boxes
  • Understand what the real needs are
  • Be who they need
  • Like Paul, willingly be a prisoner for Jesus
  • Do not judge them for their past
  • Remind them that they are not that person any longer
  • Yes, sin has consequences, but we do not have to live there

Be Sacrificial
  • Jesus sees our sin
  • He choose to sacrifice for us
  • We see the sin of those around us
  • We must choose to sacrifice for them
The pastor had a good one liner he shared from the Talmud:
"He who saves one life, saves the world"

 And in one sentence, he tripped a wire in my mind that began to unravel a mystery to me, about me.  But, I will wait on that one until another time ...

No comments: