Monday, May 20, 2013

Star Trek - Into Darkness

Friday was a fairly horrible day, just incredible pain throughout my body.  Afternoon came along and I felt well enough to go pick up some crab legs for dinner.  Everything was falling into place time wise and then my son called.

"Hey, pops, wanna go to a movie?"

Okay, that is pretty close a first time for any of the children!  So, wondering what was really up, I agreed.  And in walked my oldest daughter with her two kids - and they got to enjoy my cooking while I went to the movie with son.

So, first off, the trailers do not do the movie any justice.  The movie does the Star Trek saga no justice, in fact it muddies the waters a bit.

However, this is a first rate film and just as you have to keep reminding yourself that "Left Behind" has nothing to do with the Bible, "Into Darkness" has nothing to do with Star Trek outside of it being created by part of the franchise, with characters of similar names and spaceships with familiar numbers on them!

I saw the 3-D version and outside of the effect being used to its fullest effect during a scene while traversing a debris field, it is wasted on this movie, as it is in most movies.  However, if you could see this is in IMAX if just might be an awesome movie - apart from the debris field!  I will be doing this hopefully today.

The movie on first take was well done, compares poorly with other Star Trek offerings, however just as a stand alone film is well worth seeing.

Teen friendly, other than twice scenes of females in underwear, however modest and of course completely unneccessary.  Lots of explosions to keep the demographic audience happy and some memories for those of us whom remember the original series.  (Of course I lived in Europe in an age of no TV so I only saw reruns when we moved to the States.)

Probably an owner as well, but let us face it, not much will ever come close to "The Wrath of Khan"....

No comments: