Friday, July 23, 2010

Using Your Talents

Gaelic Girl suddenly appeared in Seattle for a meeting, and remember I am still stuck here! So, we all piled in her vehicle and headed off to pick up son from his job. It was sort of late and I figured we would pick him up, then take youngest daughter and GG to Pete’s BBQ on the way home, which I had seen that morning.

So, I was sharing with GG and YD about oldest daughter’s accident and upon testing her finger was broken – taking her to the hospital. YD was impressed that I could diagnose a fracture (well, like I have had a few of them in my life!).

“Well, I spent decades in search and rescue on snow, ice, mountain faces and underwater. So, I had to know all about broken bones and a host of other problems you might need to address before you can move a victim out of their circumstance.”

Now GG on top of being a scientist also holds medical degrees comparable to something similar to a paramedic in this country. She muttered under her breath about how she had gained all of this training and NEVER had a chance to use it. YD agreed.

“Well, you never know that you will not use that knowledge tomorrow or next year. But, every piece of knowledge and training you give yourself is one more way in which God can and will use you!”

“Think of it this way, suddenly you come upon and accident scene and you have the chance to save someone. But, you never learned how – so you are about as worthless as……”

“As what?” asked YD.

“Well, I was going to try and think of something but all that came to mind was a screen door on a submarine!”

Silence…..

YD comments finally, “Well who would put a screen door on a submarine? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard…..”

Continued silence as the miles roll by.

YD explodes with laughter, “I get it! I get it!” “Ha, ha, ha, ha!”

Blondes, Lord help us.

No comments: