Monday, May 31, 2010

God’s Letter of Introduction

Reading the verses of 2 Corinthians 3:1 through 3 and then thinking about Acts 9:2, 18:27, 22:5 and 1 Corinthians 16:3 left me with a few thoughts this week.

Possessing a letter of introduction was apparently a common practice in the ancient world and has continued through today.  In our world, thinking of seeking a new job, changing churches, school applications, even some business opportunities all require proof of whom you are, what your skills are and/or how you have performed in the past.

But, in Paul’s letter to the believers in Corinth, he implies that each of us are God’s Letter of Introduction to one another and by extension to the world.  So, if I am a “letter”, existing to introduce others to God, then what does that mean to me?

Well, letters are usually PERSONAL.  It is about us, on a personal level.  Things known and even not known by those around us.  It is how we think and communicate.

Paul refers to this letter being written on our hearts.  That would make this letter very PERMANENT!  It is not something which can be changed easily.  It also means we need to be cautious about what does get written there.

That letter is going to be read by all.  Yeah, the letter is going to be very PUBLIC!  Audience anticipated or not, that letter is there for all to see.  Eepah!

So, if I am going to deliver a letter from God, to those around me:

I need to allow Christ to write the message in that letter .  It must be legible with as little smudging of God’s message by me as possible.  I must be readable, holy and faithful if that message is to have meaning and be clearly visible.  (If you knew me in person, you would know how difficult that can be at times!)

That letter needs to be about God and not about me.  Self has no place in my witness to others.  The subject of the letter should not be burdened with you, me, us, I, my, we, etc.  As Paul said once, “…..about Christ, and him resurrected…”

I need to remember that this letter is going to be read, whether I want it to be or not.  It is going to be read by everyone, not those I choose. 

My life, the decisions I make, the walk I walk, etc are all parts of that letter.  That is what the world sees.  I may not even know whom the reader is, nor what the impact of what they find is.  But, I am guaranteed someone, somewhere is reading and I really do hope I am pointing to Jesus and someone else…..

1 comment:

Robin said...

good thoughts.
we were just discussing the idea of christians living totally seperate, under the premise of living unto the lord, yet how can we be salt and light to others if we are so far removed? your post is another timely reminder to live authentically.