Friday, May 7, 2010

On Suffering



This is not a good morning.  Darn back went out last night (honest, I did NOTHING to cause it this time!) and is still mighty sore this morning.  So a good time for me to reflect on suffering.....

A poignant question often asked of me, which has stuck with me, basically: why me and pain and suffering?  Hard questions to answer, especially when you do not have the answer for yourself.

If we look at 2 Corinthians 1:1-7, we might find the answer to this question.

1.  We all have troubles and problems.
Rare is the person whom has not suffered to some degree.  It is a condition common to all.  However some of us seem to suffer far more than others.  It is out of proportion what some have to go through.  Let us call this life altering events.

It is important to note that this life is not in Heaven!  God really does not want or needs us to be satisfied with this life and this world.

This is THE lie of Satan in this age, to say: if you love God / give / have faith enough - then you will not suffer.  That is not Biblical theology, if is a very contemporary FALSE doctrine!  Looks to me like verses 4 through 7 guarantee us suffering in this life!

2.  God Comforts All of His Children.
God is called the “Father of Mercies”.  Father meaning the originator or source, in this case, of mercy.

Biblically, comfort is not so much about feeling “better” as it is about feeling “stronger”.

3.  God’s Children Are To Be Comforters – Not Just Comforted.
Comfort is not given to you, if is loaned in order than you might pass it on!

Yes, comfort is one of the things God gives us to give to others…

So, what does this tell for me?  It tells me that in my suffering, God is strengthening me.  In my suffering I gain experience and am to learn from it.  What I have experienced and learnt from, I am to share with others whom are likewise afflicted.  And those whom I help are expected equally to do the same with those whom are in their lives.

I have written before on what certainly has been the worse I have suffered through, so I will not repeat it.  But, I do see this verse played out in my life since I was hit by that truck in 1996.  Maybe on a day by day basis I can not see God’s hand, but others could.  I remember posting about two years ago about how much I had changed since the accident and surgery; growing in ways that I was unaware of.

No comments: