Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Christian Radio


For those living in America, count ourselves lucky in your ability to have local Christian programming.  Few places in the world have such freedom.  When I am in Seattle, there are about 4 stations I can listen to.  One of them is great, the other 3 a little lame.  However, I love it when I am in Denver, 7 stations on FM alone!  So lots of programming options.  I tell you I am glad I do not work from there because I would get so little done!

In Europe, there are a few big broadcasters and a sparse scattering of smaller local stations (except in Italy!).  Trans World Radio (http://www.twr.org/), broadcasts from 12 locations around the world, including Switzerland, with over 2,000 repeaters worldwide!  They are by far the largest of those attempting to reach the world via shortwave and longwave.

The impact of Christian radio can be seen in the strength of the Christian church in closed countries.  The fall of the Soviet Union was as much a result of the joint efforts of radio and publishing houses to flood them with the message of salvation – as it was the bankruptcy of a failed philosophy.  Today, the same can be said of the closed Islamic world – in need of reaching – and they are trying.

If you are able support Christian stations, then consider supporting organizations such as TRW or those whom use TRW.  Pick a country, pick a language, pick a program – any and all can by sponsored fully or partially.

If you are not able to provide financially, then remember prayer is the most powerful offering you can make to anyone in any situation.  (I often think more prayer and less dollars would do Christianity a world of good!  I bad….)

No comments: