Thursday, June 12, 2008

Reality TV


I have to admit that I do not watch much television and have little patience for those whom do – like my children.  But this year, I have found myself drawn into several programs: Bones, Hell’s Kitchen and finally Farmer Wants A Wife.  The latter is the one I want to address in this posting.

My first take is that the farmer is just too smooth.  Let’s face it; the average farmer does not romp around in coiffed hair, sporting a sun tanned muscular body.  They look more like this kid’s father: weathered.  So what kind of a farmer is he?

Turns out the family raises soy beans and corn.  Hmmm.  So they have to borrow cows, goats and chickens to look like farmers?  They are not even using the family home in the program because it was considered too “new” for the appearance of a “farm”.  Okay, it is a Hollywood production after-all, so appearances are everything; reality only gets in the way – I guess.  We are just lucky they did not resurrect Ma and Pa Kettle as his parents!

If I allow farmer boy is heavily “coached”, fed situations, responses, and made “beautiful” for TV – maybe he is an alright guy.  Not the brightest bulb, but maybe as sincere as he can be in the situation?  Even for a farmer no one could say he even dresses average.  Is this family really poor?  Is he dressing down so as to not look prosperous?  Seems odd to have sharply dressed women and a guy whom needs to find buttons for his shirt…

He makes no bones about being a Christian but is his faith real?  I have to wonder.  Has culture overcome what should be his Christian witness and lifestyle?  You are probably going to snicker, but honestly I really object with him smooching it up with this group of women.  In the culture I was raised in – a kiss was an offer of marriage.  If the other party responded – well you had better be having a talk with her father….  But, that is not American culture and apparently not a part of his either – even though he bears a German last name.  I have yet to see that he attends any form of fellowship.  Perhaps that is just too controversial for reality TV?  It would be fun to see these women in church!

The women, heavens what a group!  One Russian, nine Americans; one black, nine white; two Christians, eight not.  But, honestly, I am not routing for the Christians here – they behave and dress like hooker want-a-be’s.  Gees!  But were our little farmer to actually be a Bible based man – he really only has two choices: one of the two Christians – if he is to marry within his faith - as Paul states we are to.  Or has culture overcome that part of his belief set as well?

Yet, one of the Christians has already been sent home, the remaining one – sure would not be on my list of choices!  I think that there is only one in the group whom shows maturity and responsibility – but she is not a Christian.  Were I the farmer, I would probably have my mother in that woman’s face to see if she is a candidate or not.  Would she turn to Jesus, not to get married, but for real because she understands it is something she needs?  I wonder…

It will be interesting to see just how this soap opera plays out.

No comments: