Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Apples and Spots


When I talked with my son last night, he was upset because he was not allowed to be a counselor on a retreat for the 11-13 year olds in the church over the weekend.  I can understand the youth pastor’s decision – my son has shown some poor judgment lately and he also tends to like 13 year old girls (heaven only knows why!).  But, here is the problem, this same pastor allowed another youth to go – whom is known for being a sexual stalker, especially of young girls!  Whatever was he thinking?  I think I have son calmed down for now over this but it started my mind on one of its rabbit trails.

I do not know American idioms well enough to know if there equivalents to “An apple never falls far from the tree” and “A leopard can not change its spots”.  But, I have long though over these to bits of wisdom shared with me by my “Uncle” Fritz.

Fritz served in North Africa under Rommel, in his intelligence organization.  Any British soldier whom survived El Alamien, never knew the debt they owed this man as he worked to not only protect his troops but those of the Allies as well.  He was an officer in the Waffen-SS.  He would have been executed had he been captured by the Americans, as were all officers of this organization, but it was the British whom got to him first.

So, what was he telling me?  He was from Hamburg and counted himself a POW in the German Army.  His rise as a officer in the Waffen allowed him to work against that occupation army which had taken Hamburg by force.  Given this, he was telling me that he had a code he lived by and he could not change that code.  He was also a committed Lutheran, as was his whole family.  His spots were not going to be coming off, no matter whom surrounded him.

And what of my church’s little stalker?  Yes, it turns out that his father is of that bent, so I guess his troubles would not surprise me now knowing this.  And he can not change.  That is to say that he can not change unless God intervenes in his life – and I really do pray He does!  But, I have not heard of any life changing event in this young man’s life – other than getting a hair cut recently.  So, I am going to go with if he has not changed – he should not be used in ministry by the youth pastor.  Conversely, had he undergone some form of change – he still should not be used until he has matured in the faith which has brought on the change.

As for son, well he should be used in children’s ministry where kids are at least 6 years younger than him.  For everyone’s safety!

And what of me?  I have struggled all my life to not be like by father.  I have prayed for years to not be a reflection of him and to be a reflection of the Godly men I have known.  As for my spots, luckily those where changed years ago and I have a new set of spots – such as my uncle Fritz.  Maybe the old ones wear through occasionally but I like the new ones better…..

No comments: