Friday, June 20, 2008

Embarrassment

Back home, so many of my kids were to graduate from school last week – setting out upon their journey into the real world and their futures.  Ok, most of them were kicking and screaming!  KJ (whom I baptized last year), artist girl, virtual fourth daughter and god-daughter number two (the actress) – I have all mentioned in the recent past and now are facing the uncertainty of  adult life.

KJ is now off on a trip to California as a present from his father – much to the horror of middle daughter, artist girl is working on expanding her portfolio before she is exiled by her mother to college in California, fourth daughter has no clue as to what she is going to do and god-daughter I got to see as she was passing through Seattle yesterday!  I only see her at most once a year so always an event.

Last year, I was to learn she had decided she was now Jewish.  She has gone through atheism, Buddhism and now is Jewish.  Ok, what ever.  So at the airport she was all excited to see me – hugs … kisses … embarrassment.

Yeah, it was her tee-shirt she remembered to be embarrassed of, too late.  I never said a word, nor even let on I had seen her shirt, which in large letters proudly announced to the world, “Jesus is Wrong”.

I doubt she really thought about this through.  Jesus is wrong about what? 
  • He is wrong as to what Judaism is supposed to have been? 
  • He is wrong that the leadership had sold out to the world? 
  • He was wrong he fulfilled prophesy? 

He was wrong – about what?  It is not any easy statement to support intellectually - and still be academically honest with yourself.

The problem her shirt stated is not that he was wrong, but that those whom followed him were.  Her shirt would be best had it stated “Roman Catholicism Got It Wrong”, “Dispensationalists Have It Wrong” “Evangelicals Should Try Harder” or perhaps even “A Good Christian Is A Jew or is it Visa Versa?”.   No those would really be politically incorrect – to those whom wish to be ignorant!

You get the idea, as Christians we tend to forget that we are followers, the accumulation of the Hebrew faith.  The difference between Judaism and where we should be, and visa versa, is that our payment has been made through the sacrifice of Jesus – and his resurrection.  Not much else is different, if  you allow for the Spirit in your life.

So, I bide my time.  She is seeking, looking to shock, thoughtful enough to not want to offend me.  Yes, she and I will have our talk one day, when she is ready – and I hope that will be in the near future….

No comments: