Thursday, June 19, 2008

Its Not Eros

About 25 years ago I was in a meeting where we were discussing the direction and future of formal testing environments in information technology.  Now this was a fairly new idea at the time and a source of much argument.  So an expert was brought in, whom honestly scared the tar out of us – her vision of the future sort of lacked the idea of individual thought.

Similar to a scene from Frankenstein, the masses gathered to burn her at the stake.  But, there was something there.  I did not know what it was.  Just something made me hesitant to leap on the “Burn The Tester At The Stake” crowd.  My co-workers were quite unhappy with my calming effect.  And I never knew why I intervened.  It sure was not attraction as my co-workers murmured.

Advance the clock to today and I just had a meeting with this lady again.  We are now both much older and she at least wiser.  But, interestingly I found she is doing the Beth Moore series on Daniel.  And I, in year 5 of my book on Daniel.  So we had quite a wonderful meeting discussing Daniel.  I am all aquiver!

So, to quote the Newsboys, from Strong Love:

He swings to the left, she leans to the right, but that doesn't make a flight a given. And some pitch their tents in the middle of the fence, but is doesn't matter where you're living.

His spirit's in me his spirit's in you, so there's a common bond between us.

And the mission for me is a mission for you - we have a common cause to link us.

Chorus
Strong love yeah, people. Strong strong love between us. Strong love yeah, people, and you know it's true that it always must be there.

Therefore, God’s Spirit in me, recognized itself in her, and that was why I was compelled to intervene.  How cool is that?

Long ago I wrote on this attraction of commonality of Spirit and how I theorized that it may well cause people to think in terms of “love” rather than “fellowship” and so might be one cause of Christian divorce rates being what they are.  Just my personal opinion…

No comments: