Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Meters and Miles

I pulled off my shoes and socks, stretching out on the floor.  I was exhausted.  But, my mind was randomly swirling over several thoughts.  Such as, how many meters are in a mile. 

I was wiggling my toes and fingers feeling the coolness of the air.  It was pleasant.  I smiled.

“What are you doing?”

“Thinking…..”

“What about?”  Only a female would ask such a question.  Guys don’t think about anything unless they have to.  Why can’t she figure this out?  I can’t possibly tell her how cool the air was against my toes!

“How many meters are in a US mile.”

“I don’t know.”  Not like I was asking.  She had asked what I was thinking about!  I was already at the point of despair on this idea.  If there are 1,000 meters is a kilometer and a kilometer is 5/8 of a mile, with a mile being 5,280 feet.  Then, 5/8 of 5,280 would tell me what portion of a mile an individual meter was.  That number then …… My brain was swirling.

“Is a meter 39 inches?”  Perhaps I should be using a different tact.

“Maybe.”  She sounded bored with my mental activity.  Guess not what she was looking for.  Should I have gone with the cool air on my toes originally?  I closed my eyes again to concentrate on the problem at hand.

“So, three inches difference per meter, 2 kilometers would be 10/8 miles, or 1.25 kilometers per mile, or 1,250 meters, then…”  Darn it!  Multiplying apples and oranges again!

Why had I even started on this task?  I didn’t remember any longer!  What on earth could I have been thing about that made this so import?  Oh yah, how many meters in a mile.  So, if my longest shot last year was 1,600 meters, is that a mile or over a mile?

The computation was killing my brain.  Something was wrong with my tact but I could not figure out what it was.  When I awoke, eight hours later, I found a warm Jack Russell butted up to my stomach snoring soundly, his chew bone buried under my very stiff arm pit.  But, now I knew that 1250 is less than 1600 – so I exceeded a mile…

:^)

No comments: