Monday, November 15, 2010

Stupid Is As .....

Sometimes the simplest of situations can go completely out of control and in direction you could not imagine.  Take this little story, which will shortly turn into a real nightmare for a certain young man!

Now, Timothy left his car for safe keeping at the kids' place.  He is on tour with his motor home he bought about three years ago to tour American in, and never did.  So he is off on tour now and the car is just sitting there.

Last week I was driving back from mother's and thought I would swing by the house and see how it is going.  Spying said car, I thought, well you know it has not been run in a while so I will take it out for a spin.

Of course it started right up, drove beautifully over to Southcenter, where I grabbed some lunch and expected to drive right back home.  Nope.  Car is completely dead.  A quick check of the battery showed that the positive terminal had broken completely off of the battery!  I think I have seen this happen maybe once before and that was on a race car I had built (long story).

It took Oldest Daughter two hours to make it to Southcenter, where we then had to wait three hours! for the parking space next to mine to open up, so she could pull in and jump me.  Of course, remember that the battery is now junk, so what did I do?  Well, I rewired the engine to run like a 1950's VW, which has no alternator and by-passes the generator to run.  Yeah, do not try this at home kids!  I could have painted "Bomb" on the side of the car with no false advertising.

I made it back to the kids house with a bucking, wheezing, very unhappy Mazda and terrified OD trailing me.  But, I did make it back!  Now, I had bought Second Daughter a battery two months ago so she could get her car on the road and then towed to her home.  But that car is dead, dead, dead!  So, if I could get her to sell me her battery to use in Timothy's, then she would have some cash (a unique occurrence in her life), Timothy would have a battery and son, whom owes Timothy, would be out of debt to him!  Simple huh?

Well not quite it seems.  Turns out son spent all of his money on who knows what and now is completely broke and seeing if he should sell some of his sports cards to get back some of that money - that was supposed to be in savings for what he owes the IRS for doing contract labor this past summer!  Yeah.

So far, I am out the cost of a battery and son is looking at some jail time if he does not get his act together quickly enough.  SD is searching the internet for Goth stuff and OD has now decided that I am indeed crazy....

Sigh.

1 comment:

Robin said...

wow. Always an adventure eh?
Sending prayers for strength.