Monday, November 29, 2010

The Blahs and Thankfulness

Last week was the first 'different' week I have had in quite a while - there just has not been anything to post about.  Yeah, such an exciting life I have led in the past several months!  The usual day has just been one of driving my tail off and accomplishing nothing on my to do list - which hopefully will change this week, but last week is what I wanted to post about.

So, if you watch the news I am sure you heard all about how western Washington was paralyzed by a 'snow storm'.  On the first day of the storm I literally saw four cars spin out on the same snow flake.  The road was wet, not icy and there was no snow except for what was falling.  Drivers here are insane.  At the most I saw there might have been 3/4" of snow and 2.5" drifts rarely.  Total journalistic hype.

I was headed for mother's because I know she is not going to drive in the snow and would be in need of groceries (such a good son, but I still got cussed out - as usual). As I went along, I got to thinking about what a weird year it has been so far and how much stress has been involved.  I thought about Gaelic Girl, whom told me that I have not even started to mourn father's death.  About being hospitalized and flat on my lips for months through the summer.  Then of course mother's heart surgery.  About Second Daughter's little surprise.  And, of course, did I do the right thing coming here, much less bringing the kids?  The moral failures of now five of 'my girls' from past Sunday School classes.  Yes, it has been quite a year for everyone it seems.

Then I got a text from KJ, whom disappeared last December.  He was embarrassingly thankful for our relationship - showing him Jesus and discipling him.  I thought, "Wow!  How unexpected is that?"

Hours later, back home, I found an email from SD which apologized for basically the past 8 years of her life.  Those years were mighty hard on everyone - the police, mental professionals, her teachers, our church, her friends, her siblings, GG and of course me.  In fact, it was almost to the point of bankrupting me trying to get her the help she needed.  But, I knew it was a spiritual battle, not a mental one, and she just figured it out!  PTL!

Then on Saturday, my mother shows up at my door demanding turkey sandwiches.  So for the first time since 1998, she was in my home and all went very well.  And she apologized for all of those years she had blown off my children and me.  And she told me that she had been considering how thankful she should have been for me to have driven thousands of miles last month in order to care for her.

Yeah, a very interesting week indeed.....

No comments: