Monday, November 1, 2010

Little Children All

In Sunday School the kids got off on a rag over their parents (luckily son kept his mouth fairly shut!  :^) )  Anyways, one of the girls was quite vocal over how unfairly her father treats her and how frustrating it is to not be able to ever please him.  (yeah she is from his wife's first marriage and nothing will ever be acceptable!)

So, I mentioned that just as she sees her relationship with her father, is the same way I saw mine.  Then I wondered if maybe he saw his relationship with his father the same way.  It lead to quite an interesting rabbit trail in class but it left me thinking as I went to service.

Sitting there, I could see pregnant teenager I mentioned earlier - hurting.  Her mother as well.  Her mother's friends, the same.  A few pews over some others whom I know, hurting as well.  In the choir, a woman whose father just died.  The pastor whom lost a close friend last week and would be leading the service for him in three hours.

Yeah, a whole lot of hurting going on out there.  And I thought to myself how each of us, no matter our age is still that little child inside: hurting and wanting to be comforted.

Maybe there are times when a service need not be about singing and a message, but about sharing our pain and needing acceptance.....

No comments: