Tuesday, January 5, 2010

One of Those Days


It is one of those days.  Yes, attack of the world’s greatest klutz.  Again.

Granddaughter was really in a mood last night.  And, in her obit of random buzzing about, she nailed me right on the age old incision in my spine.

The king of klutz still reigns.  Sigh.

In 1997, I had surgery for spinal cancer, which left me with no bones over the lumbar region of the spinal cord.  Yup, right at two year old level.  So, no problem for her to nail grandpa at all.

Unfortunately, when pressure is applied to this area, all nerve impulses stop to all body parts south of the pressure point.  The pain is unbelievable.  Until the swelling goes down – thank heavens for painkillers!

So, I am again reminded of the surgeon’s skill and God’s miracle I can walk or stand at all after that surgery.  I am guessing I will be back in my back brace when grandchildren are now around.  Although I may only get nailed once a year, and go down for a few days, wearing my brace is far preferable to the alternative I am suffering now!

I really hate wearing that turtle shell though…..

No comments: