Monday, January 4, 2010

Just Keep Going


I was reflecting on 2009 last night.  Many of my close friends and family have had some real struggles.  Unemployment, homelessness and outright poverty, not being uncommon.  Sure statistically the economy is turning around but that is of little help to someone whom has reached the last of their resources.

And I thought about the current generation of kids whom have not known struggle or survival.  I cannot even imagine them being able to face hardship and keep going.

Keep going requires a certain mindset that this next generation does not seem to have.  When faced with adversity – they pout or sit there and wait for something to happen.  There is no response of “pulling themselves up by their suspenders”, as my great-uncle used to say.

These young people I remember well from when there was a five day power outage a few years ago – no cell phones, no computer games, no batteries to replace their dying hand help games, no MySpace.  It was heaven to me, but I heard all about their devastation from my kids and the church youth parents!  By day five my kids had rediscovered books and were starting to read something of worth.  Then the power came back on – darn it!

So, can I see this generation of young people having the chutzpa to handle real adversity?  Not really.  A real disaster which does cripple the infrastructure, would in turn stop them cold.  It is not a matter of age as I know many in my own age group I hold no hope for their being able to respond to disaster.  Nor is it matter of learning; these kids just do not seem to possess the internal whatever to go and do.  Lord help them, when they really need it!

So, back to reflecting on 2009.  I guess when one is going through hell in their life – you just have to have the strength to keep on going…..

No comments: