Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lunchtime

I was at a meeting this week on how to approach reaching local high school aged youth, with several others with an alike bent.  At my table was one of the ladies whom is living in one of my upstair's bedrooms at home and a very Swedish therapy consultant.

"Kris, how do you manage?"

"Huh?"

"Your face, it tells me you are in great pain and I know if you are in that much pain, it takes all of your mental facilities to just hold yourself together.  How do you manage to even be here, much less work with youth?"  Her face was etched with concern, as was that of the housemate.

I sighed, "Must be the product of the superior German mind."

This was greeted with peals of laughter from the both of them.  Yeah, in Swed-land, there are no Germans.

But, this did make me wonder.

I guess I just never thought about it.  If you have an assignment or a goal, you do whatever it takes to make that goal.  You might have to work weird hours, take naps, learn to work longer hours to compensate for having to use pain killers, whatever.  But, you do it.

Never considered this to be anything other than being a good employee, keeping my promises, and/or doing what is needed.

Certainly, the current generation does not seem suffer from this syndrome.  I really am concerned for the survivability of a culture where the next ones up are not interested in anything other than playing their internet games and/or networking with friends.....

No comments: