Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sunday's Lunch

So what did Oldest Daughter say on Sunday to kick in all of my defense mechanisms?  Well, I wasn't going to say anything until I had a chance to talk with New Daughter - I needed her perspective on what happened.

One of the waitresses I have gotten to know rather well - calm down now, she is Oldest Daughter's age!  And she knows the family and I hear from her when and whom Son shows up with, which appears to be often.  And she knows the daughters well.

So, there we sat, I by ND and OD with her two kids on the other side.  She comes up to the table and first thing out of her mouth is - "Who is this?"

Of course, I answer, "My New Daughter..."  But before I could even finish the sentence, OD opens up with "No she isn't.  I'm a daughter..."  But, before she can finish a sentence, ND opens up with, "I am, uhm..."  Then the waitress is looking sternly at me with a, "So she is your daughter..."

Then the coupe d'grace, "Where is that lady that comes in with you..."  (Gaelic Girl)  But now there is utter confusion at the table with everyone trying to dig this one out.....

And, Kris' defense mechanisms all slammed shut and Kris was completely gone and the clown emerges.  Even when I was young I had learned that humor and clowning would deflect people from finding or knowing the real Kris.  You can try to harm the clown but you will never get to me.   And let us admit that  Groucho Marx was a genius and his routines are timeless.

So today, I have calmed down.  I sent OD a nice message telling her that she had managed to get to me, not good.  She had hurt ND, not acceptable.  And all along I have kept her in the loop on how God is using me to work a minor miracle in ND's life. She knows that I am doing this because God said to be this woman's father and I have been trying to do as commanded.  I have complete and utter peace that what I am doing is exactly on track - and if answered prayer is an indicator, then God is approving.

OD has not replied and I do not know whether or not she will.  But, I do know that I have tried to address this with her as an adult and with respect for her, ND and myself.  Will this be the end?  I sure hope so.

Because, as I told ND, I am going nowhere and neither is she.  God has some work to do - and He generally gets His way.....

No comments: