Saturday, April 17, 2010

Stand Against: Narcissism

For many years I have marvelled at what exactly is wrong with modern culture.  For my long time readers you know I have speculated on vainity, ego, super ego and Californians as being the basic cause for this problem.  However, it was not until I read through all of my father's writings that it was driven home by an 18 wheeler, followed by a dozer.

I have subconsiously thought this, though it never was apparent to me as part of a normal thought process: father was affected by narcissism big time!

No, he was not looking in to mirrors and wondering at how beautiful he was.  But, he is entire outlook on life revolved around him.  Yeah, everyone is somewhat like this, after all it is our only perspective.

I am talking about narcissism so strong that EVERYTHING is viewed exclusively from the perspective of how does this action affect me?  And, only me.

In almost 1,000 pages of writings, I scored 1 line, my sister 3, his friends half a line.  Most bizarre thing I have every read!

And as I considered western culture I could understand better in light of what I now understood about my father.

When you can only understand life though how everything revolves around you, you have some major problems to get around.....

No comments: