Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Simplicity of the Gospel

For 36 years I prayed for my father to come to peace with his creator.  Through the many years God saw fit to bring into his life numerous people whom he not only respected but on occassion would go to church with.  But, everytime he came close to a point of decision, his brain would fry and he would go completely crazy.  Hence, why he ended up with 8 wives and often with several overlaps.

And in those years I was not content to just pray but also to do my best to witness to him.  First I went for the intellect approach but he could throw so much fluff into an argument you could not keep him on track.  So, I tried just to write him many letters a year, always emphasizing what was going on in my life and what part my faith played in it.

But, in December 2002 he suffered a blocked artery and needed surgery.  But, he could not get this in Fairbanks, nor could he be taken by air anywhere due to the danger of the clot breaking loose.  So, I drove him through winter snows and ice for two weeks back to the states for that surgery.

My approach this time was the simplicity of the Gospel.  And he heard it everyday for two weeks.  Oh the anger than man had towards God!  But, never could I find out what the reason was.  I had so hoped, I had so prayed.....

But, the Gospel message is so simple:
God made a covenant with Abraham involving the slaughter of several animals.  Should either party, God or Abraham break the covenant, then the slaughter Abraham performed on the animals would be God's to bare alone.

And, the Jews never were able to hold up to their part of the covenant and so payment had to be made.  God bore that payment through Jesus.  I would not pretend to understand Near Eastern thought, nor this. 

But, this was also the payment for each of our sins towards God.

And perhaps herein lie father's problem, he never could admit he was guilty of sin.....

No comments: