Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Saturday

Saturday, I settled down at Starbucks with two venti ice teas and a scone. I have been meeting with MD’s “boyfriend” for a month now; discussing life, the universe and everything else.

After half an hour of talking about several topics, he reached in his pocket, flipped open a box and set it in front of me. I looked down at a small engagement ring and then back up at the face of a very nervous young man.

“I am very flattered, but honestly, I really do not want to marry you”

His mouth opened and closed a few times, much like a fish out of water, as his eyes glazed over. Behind me, a group of locals grew real quiet…..

“No, no, no! It is for your daughter!”

“Well, which one?”

Return of the fish momentarily.

Eventually, I offered him my hand and told him that it came with conditions; like he would be accepted as a son and that meant he had to put up with me…..

Heh, heh, heh, heh!

No comments: