Friday, February 12, 2010

Letting Go

There has been an interesting discussion revolving around the household concerning faith. The lady living upstairs is concerned because she sees such poor faith being shown by kids in the church. The missions minded young lady is concerned because she saw such poor faith being displayed by the other workers in her mission last year. All of my kids, “Whatever…..” Which lead to a very interesting, very long discussion with Timothy.

His brother-in-law is in rehab right now, third time in a one year period, for alcoholism. No one is going to argue that the guy is a Christian, he isn’t. No one is going to argue that the guy has some real addiction problems, he does. No one is going to argue that anything other than an incredible change in his will power or a miracle through salvation in Jesus is going to change anything.

But, extrapolate this man’s condition across all of mankind. Yeah, that is the kind of stuff we do for fun.

Being a Christian and supposedly living (walking by faith), is that any different than this alcoholic trying to kick the habit? We are human, we are buffeted by human desires constantly – some fairly base in nature, yet we are supposed to be changed creatures and overcoming this nature. Just as Timothy’s brother-in-law has to fight the desire to drink when he sees advertisements, or movies, or even is with his friends when they pop a brew. See what I am driving at?

If you can not ‘Let Go’, you can not overcome any situation. If you can not let go of alcohol, you will suffer the consequences. If you can not let go of (fill in the blank) you will suffer whatever the long term effects are of whatever you put in the blank space.

For the Christian, you have a ton to let go of because it is not expeditious for you not to in the long run. Oh sure, you can probably live a fat happy life without total commitment or letting go, but then again, you will never achieve whatever your Creator’s goal was for you.

Thinking on this past year, and I have had nothing but a ton of time to think!, I see so much of our endeavors as being completely worthless in the long term. I am not thinking Francis of Assisi kind of Christians as actually being the example here, but to the mindset I am.

If you ever knew or read any of Bill Bright’s material from back in the 1960’ – 1970’s, his push was towards a completed Christian – where all that we do is designed and dedicated to God. I now understand his push in this regard; everything we do can be used as a witness for God (within reason ok guys?!) We can have interests, we can run businesses, we can use all to tell the world about God. Of course, the mess the world is in today is because too many have compromised far too much.

How do we take back the witness of Christ from Hollywood and the politically correct? By letting go, saying:
• “Ok Jesus, I am going to not support xyz because they are pulling people and the culture away from you.”
• “Ok Jesus, I am going to give you just one hour a week to use me and I expect you to!” (Trust me, most Christians are not of any heavenly good for even an hour a month!)
• “Ok Jesus, you show me where to go/ what to do, and I will do it!”
• “Ok Jesus, show me how I can follow you.”
• “Ok Jesus, help me to build my faith in you.”
• “Ok Jesus, help me to let go…..”

*****

I actually hate the thought of people reading my blogs because, hey, whom am I? But for this one, I really want people to stop and think about their lives, where they are headed, what they are doing. My words are just that, but maybe God can stir something in the reader’s heart to take a new tact in life. One of service to Jesus, as the Christ and not one of vain self glorification…..

No comments: