Saturday, August 23, 2008

Players – Part 3


Father is a bit of an enigma to me.  For most of my life he has found me incompatible with his world view and so has been gone.  However, three years ago he decided to come back into my life.  First to convince me that I need to marry my girlfriend from high school (his wife at that time’s sister!) – argh!  Then to be a grandfather to my children.  They are a little shaky on what to do with him as well!  One of the finest minds of the previous century, doctorate in mathematics at 16, I grew up in his intellectual shadow.  Many things I could say but am hindered by certain laws of my adoptive country (USA).  Really needs to find his peace with his Creator!

Mother, I say little about because like my father she wrote me off.  Like father, she is welcome back, once she grows up.  Eaten up with bitterness, really needs God!

Mean Cruel Step Mother, is actually stepmother number 5 (of 8!).  I love her greatly and wish she lived with me.  One of my greatest patrons in my attempts to be an artist.  Perhaps out of pity or motherly love?  Also needs Grace!

Grandmother was the matriarch of the family.  Three years ago she slipped and split her hip.  She went from the battleship which would outlive all of us to a failing cripple so fast I am still have not adjusted to this!  I love her dearly and was the only one in the family whom was even close to “like me”.

As an afterthought, KJP - me.  A tri-national: German, American and Swiss – each of them having their own take on the family name (thank you WWII!).  Depending upon whom they decided my father is.  Still living under Cold War rules due to father’s role in history, so stuck with the name problem.  A Christian, a teacher of youth in my church, educated in computer science and apologetics.

I attribute all that I am to the Danish uncle I lived with as a child, possessing very much a 19th century farmers view on life.  I became a Christian at 18 – literally being ejected by my family for doing so.  I still struggle over whom I was, fearing I may one day be that person again.  My less than one day marriage clearly showed I can and do make really bad mistakes – or God was extra merciful.  Depends upon how you look at it.  Not many friends left whom even remember her these days…

Yeah, nothing about me or my life seems to be straight forward or easy!  But this bizarreness has been a useful tool when presenting material to youth in Sunday school classes – I have lots of tales…

No comments: