Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Christian Camp

One of my god-daughters is also from Russia and her adoptive mother is a single lady whom is quite overcome with having an older adoptive daughter.  I try to offer help as I can, but I have to admit this young lady is quite a handful!  And, her mother just will not do some of the suggestions which could help – like get her involved in scouting or a solid Christian youth group.

However, I was surprised this past weekend to learn via eMail that this god-daughter had indeed gone to Christian camp and was really unhappy with it.  Naturally, I am seeing visions of the problem being a Christian atmosphere versus the world of freedom she currently enjoys.

But nooooooo, what was bothering this GD was the other girls at the camp.  Ok, I came up blank.  Teenage girls are mostly psychos; maybe they were mean to her?  Nope, guess again.

It turns out that the after hours dorm time was spent with the girls and counselors ALL involved in cutting!

Yeah!  One sick bunch of young females in desperate need of real mental health assistance!

And thankfully GD did not join in because she knew, from middle daughter’s example, just how sick this activity really was!

If you have a teenage girl or work with them, please address this issue with them and do not be embarrassed to take an ultraviolet light to their arms and legs looking for scars.  Catching this as early as possible could save both you and them from the trauma MD and I went through two years ago….. and continue to deal with…..

No comments: