Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tomorrow Finally Comes

All my tomorrows ended ten years ago. 

If there was a single redefining moment in my life, it was when I was hit by a truck.  I was a long distance bicycler with visions of becoming a semi-pro racer – in the old man classification!  But, in one brief inattentive second by a driver on a cell phone, I was launched 65 feet through the air, my bicycle and left arm shattered.  It was actually the second truck that smashed up the spine.

As the doctors worked to put my spine back together, they discovered I had cancer.  Probably had it most of my life and never would have probably known about it – my body would have just started to fail early.  So, on the one hand, if I live to have an old age – it was because the tumors had been found by accident.  On the other hand, I have had to find other diversions in my life!

So, I no longer could count on any tomorrows.  The cloud of cancer returning hanging over me like a mace ready to strike at anytime.  Would I wake up one day and find my legs no longer worked?  Or perhaps my digestive track would stop and I would slowly starve to death?  You can not make plans when you never really know…..

As you might remember, I messed up my left shoulder rather badly a few weeks ago (being the ultimate klutz I am!) and had to go in for an MRI (shudder!).  Well, if I am being feed into a tube once, I may as well has have them do the spine as well – something I was putting off until December so I could take the holiday to recover from the nerve tests (very  painful!!!).  So, I did it all on Friday.

And Kris is cancer free!  Yippee!  Ten years with no reoccurrence!  Looks like there will be tomorrows after all!

Now, what do I want to do with the rest of my summer? 

The rest of my new life? 

Hmmmmm………..

No comments: