Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A Happy Memory


The other day I wrote about my Danish great-uncle Leonard and the great-aunt, both of whom I loved so greatly.

I was happy to find this photo to share with you of him and my family.  This was taken up on the north coast when my family came to get me before school started in 1965 (living in France at the time!).

From left to right: my great-uncle Leonard, my great-aunt Helene, my sister, father and mother.

It was to be my last photo of him as in 1966 I was in Spain for the summer and he died that fall.

Although he was well over one hundred when this picture was taken, no one actually knew how old he was.  He was retired in 1940 (it is thought he was born circa 1854) but was more spry than even my father in his mid-30’s here!

All that good farm life I guess!  You would think it would have rubbed off, after all I was the chicken wrangler on his farm for a decade…..

No comments: