Monday, June 28, 2010

Heart Reaching Up


As I consider the idea of living a life of witness, I am forced to inspect myself and how I ended up where I am.  What made me the way I am?

I realize my walk is not like many others.  It was like I was given an eternal view once I became a Christian.  Because I do see God’s very active hand in our world, I am forced to not pursue many of the diversions which captivate my friends.  If you can see God’s handiwork, you come to realize just how many are His miracles and how little credit He actually gets.

In my early readings of the Bible, I was struck by Elijah and the faith the man had.  Oh sure, lots of miracles, but the man’s faith in God was incredible.  I wanted that kind of faith.  I wanted the knowledge of God which spurred James Packer to write, Knowing God.  I wanted the strength of character shown by Watchman Nee in his stand against submission to a murderous government.

Just three examples of outstanding faith, outstanding character, outstanding knowledge.  I do not aim low, do I?

There is nothing outstanding about me or my relationship with God.  I am nowhere near the man I want to be.  I am nowhere near the Christian I wish to be.  My knowledge so finite it embarrasses me at times!  And, I am so easily misled into pursuits of no worth that I fear I often fail my God.

The only thing I have is the burning desire to know my God more and to serve Him.  Were it possible, to reach up to God with my heart.  To increasingly know Him, to somehow serve Him meaningfully, to hear those precious words, “…good and faithful servant…” eventually applied not to someone else but to my life lived for Him.

Hopefully this gave you something to think about in your life and walk.  How are you living?  Whom are you living for?  How do your goals and desires match with an eternal viewpoint?

There are no judgments here, just questions to ask yourself to see if you are where you need to be in your walk….. 

I know I have continuing work to do.

No comments: