Thursday, March 11, 2010

The 360

Several decades ago my last company came up with what they thought was a better way to decide if you got a raise or not – you had to have a ‘360 Review’. This entailed having comments submitted by your peers, customers, managers and customer’s managers. This was then sorted out to eventually end up with your getting the same peanut butter spread for a raise everyone else got. It never mattered how good or how bad you actually were, because it was just a popularity contest. Real workers generally have poor visibility with managers.

But, I have thought on this idea for many years. Is it possible that the concept of the 360 applies to each of us as Christians?

If I am to live a life set forth by the likes of John and Paul, or even James for that manner, then everything I do has an impact to all around me. Whether I know it or not, whether I like it or not, people watch, people think on what I represent, people respond to what they perceive.

On the one hand, you can be paranoid that you are being observed and measured by everyone around you, or you can live your life with your eyes on your Savior.

It is a thought, something rolling around in my mind, the idea of lifestyle discipleship, a full 360 degree area of observation, impact and hopefully a consistent witness.

We will talk more on this idea, but for now I just wanted to see if it spurs any ideas or reactions out there in Blog-land.

No comments: