Friday, January 16, 2009

Disfellowshipped


An interesting issue came up regarding my comments about God, sin and choices we make.  My point was that God does forgive, God does use us, no matter the issue (as long as we do repent!).  But, some feel that those in willful sin should be disfellowshipped.

Now here is a subject I can sink my teeth into – because, I have been disfellowshipped three times in my short life!  Yes.  Truth.

The first time was at the First (Southern) Baptist Church of Aurora, Colorado.  My sin?  On youth day, I had girls in mini-skirts take up the offering.  Yeah, sort of in your face, but then again their attitude towards women bordered on racism!

Next up was at the Hoffman Heights (Conservative) Baptist Church, again in Aurora.  These people were actually loony toons!  I was tossed out formally for being a mountain climber.  Yes, I would actually put the “temple of God” in jeopardy by climbing mountains.  Did not matter that this was one of my jobs and I had done so for years.  Sin is sin, so they say.  Just not in my Bible I guess.

Number three was at Grace Christian Church (American Baptist) in Kent, Washington.  Here I really blew it.  I believed that the Holy Spirit was still alive, well and working in the believers lives.  They disagreed and booted me when I refused to deny the Holy Spirit.  If you knew me, you would know how uncharismatic I am by nature!

I have also been a part of disfellowshipping two people based solely on Biblical grounds.  One was a woman whom openly was in sin – in fact causing scandal seemed to be her really only desire in Church.  We went through the warning process hoping to turn her around and finally had to bar her from the Church.  She sued us for all we were worth – and won.  Seems gossip was also a problem in our Church and why she won.

The second person was my pastor.  He was separated from his wife, it was a secret he even had one and I only knew because I knew him in Bible school!  Plus he was living with a girl from my first youth group years before.  At least the elders were Godly men and he was terminated instantly and then disfellowshipped with the girl and her father (one of the elders!).  Most of the church left with the ex-pastor.  Seems adultery is ok if you are a good Bible teacher.  Thirty years later I hear they are still together in their relationship.  It sickens me what the Church has become – a playground for weak minded men with no integrity.

So, would I disfellowship Udi?  No, she repented and lives with the misery she brought upon herself. 

Would I disfellowship anyone whom was willing to repent?  No, that is the point of disfellowshipping someone – to help them see the light so to speak and to return to the family of God.  But, we are discussing Biblical grounds, not these weird made up theologies of denominations!

So, to answer the question – want to live in open rebellion to God?  Then do not expect to be a member of a Christian church, no doubt you will find body of believers whom will support your lifestyle – but they will not be Christian if they do.

Sorry, I know it is not the answer you were seeking…..


No comments: