Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Passive

I was listening to Christian radio this morning and all day long have found myself thinking through the words to, Testify To Love.  Not familiar to you?  Perhaps you will best remember it as the theme flowing through the Touch By An Angel episode, 151st Psalm aka Petie.  As much as a tear jerker as that episode is, the song became one of my very few favorites.  The refrain is:

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silence
Says the words are not enough
With every breath I take
We'll give thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love

So as I have hummed and thought on this for hours, I realized how true this song really is.  It is our passive witness in life which is the most important.  We always want to be at the right place, at the right time, with just the right words to reach out to the lost and hurting around us.  Yet, it is by living our lives day by day that yields the biggest testimony.

And, thinking back to something Martin Luther said, for which history has soundly criticized him for – you should be living each and every day as though it will be the last one.  And no, he did not mean you grab your soap box and head out, he meant in everything you do, you witness with your life, in word and deed.

I do not know where the creator of this song is in their walk with the Lord, but I hope she is walking close…

No comments: