Saturday, November 10, 2007

Too Modern

We probably spend about 40 minutes singing each and every Sunday morning – an utter waste of time, were one to ask me.  The songs are all over the place.  From Martin Luther to popular Christian songs from the 1970-1990’s.  I do not mind the Luther hymns through some wonderful songs of the 19th century.  But, I do not enjoy the continual bland repetition of the 20th century songs.  Besides 20th century theology is about 98% wrong, if you are not a follower of Arminius and his “works for salvation theology”. 

So, this past Sunday we were treated to a Newsboy’s song.  I like them, have since I met them 17(?) years ago.  I like their music and some of the lyrics are incredible in their ability to make me reflective (ie: Shame).  Yet even their lyrics are not 100% and songs such as Elle G. reveal a horrible understanding of God (are you listening Steve Taylor!).  In fact I have used Elle G. for many years as an example of how an interesting song can be shown to be horrible for it theology, in Sunday School classes.  But, I digress.

So, here we have the band wailing away on their guitars, the music nice, about a dozen bald guys start dancing and I have to roll my eyes.  How does this glorify God?  The words to the song are neutral, neither inspiration nor praise.  So is this good?

Should our songs of praise to God be empty and thoughtless?  Should our praise songs make bald guys want to leap around like an African warrior on a termite mound?

What do you think?  I might be wrong, but I think this is really inappropriate in Church.

No comments: