Friday, November 30, 2007

Knighthood & Mathematics


It might have been in dead blog 6 were I mentioned Diedre’s old boyfriend and how I sure was not going to be saying a thing about why he found himself in jail this year.  Of course, it was probably only time before she did.  I heard from a mutual friend she had found out – which now explained her, um, ‘mood’ over the last few weeks.  So, on Thursday evening I bought her some flowers with her groceries (my car still runs, while hers languishes…).  She liked the flowers.  I did not ask about ‘him’.

Saturday, I threw a surprise birthday party for her.  The usual gang in attendance – the Dutch couple, the Swede and her youngest brother with wife all flew in for the event.  Then some of her friends came from church and work.  It was a complete surprise – so I was delighted!  She told me I was now demonstrating sneakiness and could never be trusted again!  Ha, ha, ha!

Sunday, she was with me as I returned to town having driven oldest daughter home after church and we were discussing how some females tend to seek a knight in shining armor when in fact they are surrounded by quite eligible potato growers.  There are so many examples of this in our church body!  It is enough to make one wish for the destruction of Hollywood so that womankind would return to normal!

I commented at how I had never envisioned myself as much of a knight, much less a shining one!  Heavens, I have never even been much of a hero for that matter, thinking on how knight = hero.  Solid chicken through and through (hence Kris=chicken).

We drove along in silence for a while.  Me, wondering when the last oil change was and what the noise on the left front could be.  She obviously thinking on other stuff, hopefully like when is she going to replace her broken car!  But so much for my assumption, as she then said in a real quiet voice: “You have always been my hero.”

Uh?  I almost missed a curve on the road!

“I can not think of a single heroic thing I have ever done in your life.”

 I have known her since she was 19, a brilliant teenager girl trapped in a destructive environment which was not going to help her in the least!  I actually had never counted my involvement in setting her free and providing for an education to be worthy of even a comment.  Could this be what she was thinking about?  How embarrassing!

“Actually, you stood up to my boss on my first job.  But, what makes you a hero is all of the things you have never done.”

Yah, I forgot about that boss, man he was a piece of …. ‘work’.  I still have a bat with his name on it somewhere around here!

“Was there something I was supposed to have done?  What did I not do?”

“Well, you set an example that has made a great many men in the church, and young men, awfully uncomfortable.  And women appreciate that.”

“Uh? “

“Well, then think of all of the things you have never done to or with me in 30 years of knowing me.”

Well, we are now back to Kris being a chicken again!  So, chicken = Kris = hero = shining knight! 

Therefore, Kris is a shining knight for being an utter coward… 

Amazing how mathematics works, yes?

No comments: