Friday, January 11, 2008

Christian Posers

I get embarrassed rather easily, especially when I see a brother or sister in the Lord whom seems dedicated to appearing to be what they are not.  False, artificial, out of character behavior, doing what they think others want to see, being a hypocrite – aka - modern Pharisee.

What set my nose out of joint is once again the staff of my church have been reading Rick Warren’s Purpose Driven (whatever).  I have nothing against his books, they are reasonable, chronicling what has worked for his church and in his life.  But, they are his church, in his culture, in his city, being used (hopefully) by God to His own purpose.  My church is not in his city, only remotely a part of his culture and certainly not his church.  We have our own ministry, which is not his ministry.

Yet, every time his books get read, I find displays of this empty piety from our eldership.  They want to be like Rick Warren so that our church will be like his church.  Somewhere someone has gotten the idea that his books are a recipe for success – “follow what Rick Warren has done and you can be a success too.”  Utter rubbish.

God has use for one Rick Warren, I doubt two.  If God wants to raise up another Camel Back Church, do you think He is unable to, without having to use posers to do so?

The Christian Church is sick.  This is just one of the symptoms.

No comments: