Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Reaching non-Christian Parents

The young lady now asks about her non-Christian father….

*****

Like you, my father is not a Christian as well.  In fact, I could say my father is an outright God hater – though no one in his family has a clue as to why.

I have prayed regularly for my father’s salvation for decades, but with no results I am aware of.  This can be discouraging, especially when he is 80 now and his health is failing rapidly.

So, I keep praying.  God hears our prayers and I know God will continue to provide him opportunities to find Him.  He just has to learn to wake up and listen!  I also see God bringing people into his life whom maybe able to have the witness with him I do not have.

Hang in there!  Do not give up!  Let you life be your best witness to your father for the truth of God (yes, that is the hard one!).  But, with time, he may make it.  If he does not – well – it is a choice only he can make and only after he has been humbled enough to look up rather than to himself for strength.  When this occurs, you want to be able to be there to help him understand – so you have to have a clear testimony before him, in order for him to listen.

I have no relationship with my father.  He long ago disinherited me for having ‘issues’ – like becoming a ‘brainless’ Christian.  It has only been in the last five years he decided he wanted to be a Grandpa, I have seen him (three times in the past 36 years).

Remember you can not make his decision for him, you can only share your life and what is important to you with him on a regular basis.  In time, hopefully, he will have questions for you – be sure you have memorized the answers…..

No comments: