Sunday, October 29, 2006

Laon Air Force Base, France Memories Part 3

Every afternoon at 5:00 on Radio Verdun - "Wipeout", by the Ventures, every single day!

Radio Caroline, the only good station 24x7, on the air. It was an old Liberty ship anchored off of the Dutch coast and broadcast in English - which really po'ed the English government, eventually leading to the assassination of the owner of Radio Caroline. But, they stayed on the air never the less. The only time they ever went off the air was when a seagull went through the radio room window in a a storm and caused quite a mess.

Radio Free Europe and their constant playing of the songs, "Boardwalk" and "Broadway". Of course I though they were referring to the Monopoly property Boardwalk - rather than Atlantic City; I didn't have a clue as to what a Broadway was (wide street in the dictionary). So, if I thought the songs were senseless before - it meant even less for me to know there were places called this. Years later I met one of the RFE broadcasters and asked why they constantly played those tunes. His reply was that the US Government required this as it was supposed to make those behind the Iron Curtain long for freedom and the riches the West had to offer. Huh? Gambling and bad plays are the West's legacy others long for? Huh?

Listening to Radio Havana, Radio Moscow, the RBC out of Australia, HCJB in Ecuador, Voice of America - all on my shortwave radio. I used to roar with laughter at how the same story could be presented at least four different ways every single day. I finally figured out that the truth lay somewhere between the opinions offered.......

And though Laon had been closed for a year - the 1968 Prague Radio broadcast as the Prague radio station fell to the Eastern Bloc invaders - and no one would lift a finger in the west to help them. I heard the explosions and gunfire as the final battle took place for control of the sound room. And then silence.

How many died due to NATO cowardice? For the first time in my life I was ashamed of NATO - it murdered those young people as sure as if they had bombed the station themselves.............

No comments: